Feb 24, 2009

What's Up With Our Union Contract Proposal ?

Still wondering what's the status of the DC teachers' union contract proposal. So am I. Let's hope this Wednesday's informational session conducted by the WTU will yield more information than the letters sent out to our members. By the way, y'all are invited to attend the WTU contract informational session on Wednesday, February 25, 2009 at McKinley Senior High School at 4:30 p.m. AFT Prez Randi Weingarten will be in attendance to 'meet and greet' you and discuss relevant information. The WTU has been delivering flyers to all local schools to promote this Wednesday's event. A lot of union manpower is going into ensuring that union members are aware of this gathering.

My only hope is that the the WTU will unveil some of the important details about what makes this contract proposal different than the last one. Word is that Chancellor Rhee is still suggesting in some of her meetings with DC teachers that the red and green tiers are still on the table.

By the way, the WTU delegate assembly will meet today on Tuesday, February 24th at 4:30 p.m. at McKinley Senior High for its regularly scheduled meeting . Encourage your school building representative or alternate to attend. All other union members are welcome to attend as well .


The WTU Executive Board meeting is suppose to be scheduled this Thursday evening on February 25, 2009 at the WTU Office at 5:30 p.m. The office is located at 490 L'Enfant Plaza SW, Suite 7200 Washington, DC. While I have not received noticed of this meeting to date, I encourage all unionized teachers and providers to come out.

As a WTU Board of Trustee member, I have advanced my written concern to the WTU executive board level regarding how certain 'union wire transfers' were handled by our WTU union officers. While I am not suggesting any impropriety, I am concerned that some WTU practices are not in keeping with motions passed by the executive board as well as good accounting principles. The failure of the WTU to adhere to the necessary checks and balances can lead us down a very slippery slope and cause the WTU to repeat the mistakes of the past. Stay tuned.... (Posted by The Washington Teacher).

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

I guess, according to WTU's terminology, I'm an agency member because I don't pay full dues. Are these meetings you mention open to me? Thanks.

NYC Educator said...

I certainly hope Ms. Weingarten does better by you than she's done by us.

Anonymous said...

Anonymous: Agency fee members cannot attend WTU meetings. However, I would encourage you to become a full dues paying member because there is a very small difference in the monthly dues.

Anonymous said...

NYC Educator: I have been following what's happening in NY with the absent teacher reserve. It is very disheartening. Based on my observation here in DC, the AFT is looking out only for their bottom line not ours. Let's just say we (WTU) are pawns in their game if you get my drift.

Anonymous said...

"Shake,Rattle and Roll!" Good luck and hang tough DC teachers ! Knight right two up one !

Anonymous said...

If we feel that we are "Pawns in their game!" then why stay affiliated with the AFT? That is not a good thing! I say... break away from the union and form our own! The AFT is only out for themselves. A 24% raise over 5 years??? That is NOTHING compared to what Rhee thinks we are worth! I say leave the union and form our own! Candi, will you lead us?

Anonymous said...

Hey, Anon - Don't kid yourself - by the time you're eligible for your raise, you'll be fired "at will" and someone younger and more energetic and less competent will be hired in your place.

Anonymous said...

Any follow-up on the meeting?

Anonymous said...

Anonymous # 3: Leaving the union is not something I have considered. Everytime we face a challenge in life- we can't just jump ship.

I never believed that Rhee had all the money she claimed anyway. Since Rhee refused to be transparent we will never know. I never thought that we needed to be bought for a price with conditions placed on us by private investors who did not have a vested interest in public education other than to outsource it to already rich private contractors.

Anonymous said...

I am disheartened by the lack of information that comes from this union -- which makes me resist joining as a full member. Since I was not allowed to attend the meeting the other day, yet I have a vested interest in the contract process (not to mention the union bears the responsibility of representing me, despite my agency status), I must look to other sources for information. My building rep is no help whatsoever. Parker and the WTU post no updates on their website. Will someone please tell me what happened the other day??

Anonymous said...

Anonymous: I encourage you to join as a full dues paying member and you will be able to attend all WTU meetings. You can even come to a meeting and fill out an application at the meeting. If you email me c/o saveourcounselors@gmail.com I have no problem requesting that the union get an application out to you right away. As I have stated before there is only a small difference between what you pay now and a full dues paying member.

Anonymous said...

Anon here again...

I didn't ask how I can become a member. I have plenty of applications and I see my bldg. rep nearly every day. That wasn't my issue.

I don't get this "secret society" b.s.: no answers, just a repeated request to join and all will be revealed. You chide Parker for his lack of transparency, and you can't tell this DCPS employee what a meeting was about?? I don't get it. I'm shaking head as I write this.

What are you afraid of?

Anonymous said...

Anonymous: I am not afraid of anything. You are the one posting under anonyminity not me. You could be anyone. I have not decided to post any highlights about our WTU Contract Proposal on my blog as of yet. Perhaps some of your teacher colleagues that you work with- will provide you an update on proposal highlights if you stop with the insults.

Typically contract negotiations are confidential. The proposal highlights were presented to full dues paying members only. If you know anything about unions- then you would know to get all the benefits of union membership- you have to join.

This is why I suggested that you increase your membership to a full dues paying member status if you are in fact a union member. This is my last response on this issue. Happy trails.

Anonymous said...

Insults? How in god's name did I insult you?? Wow...

But thanks for making my point better than I ever could have.

P.S. It's "anonymity."

Unknown said...

Hi Candi,

It's time for us to innovate!