Sep 7, 2008

I Can't Stop The Rain !











The rain didn't stop the show at the 23rd annual Black Family Reunion Celebration yesterday September 6, 2008. The National Council of Negro Women, Inc. moved the ecumenical prayer breakfast indoors to the basement of Union Wesley A.M.E. Zion Church. Afterall the church is where it all began. I was happy to be an invited guest. The Howard University Gospel Choir directed by Mr. Clifton Ross, III rocked the house with their gospel musical renditions. Their performance brought to mind the old adage to be young, gifted and black. Wow ! There was nary a dry eye in the house. Bishop Eddie Long of Lithonia, Georgia gave the keynote address with an awe inspiring speech that encouraged African-Americans to not give up on the dream that an African-American would become our next president. Bishop Long encouraged all to find their 'inner child' and dream like we were children- that change is a-coming.

Festivities for the Black Family Reunion celebration continue today on the Washington National Mall beginning at 10:00 a.m.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

sounds like it was a lovely event.

Anonymous said...

Candi,
Although I had reservations about attending an all woman's event, I was glad that my spirit changed once I viewed the talented people, especially, the young folks from H.U. I'm also proud of the fact that I am a product of the D.C. Public School system and I have risen above "expectations" of a person who grew up in the bowels of the city. As the pastor said, "we all have to let that inner child out once in awhile"! Even though I have a tendency to be cynical at times, Saturday was a great moment in my life, just to see the various age groups attending an event that moved from where we were once sold into bondage into one of the oldest houses of worship for our people! Keep up the good work and keep the faith, your husband, Keith.